Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

GREs: Do I need the GRE for admission?
     Not necessarily. Rhode Island College accepts the Miller Analogy Test for admission to the programs as well as the GRE.

Chemistry courses: Do I need a minimum grade in the chemistry courses?
     Rhode Island College accepts undergraduate chemistry grades of C. However, the SJHSNA Admissions Committee prefers minimum grades of B. The nurse anesthesia program admission process is competitive and the semesters are rigorous.

Degrees: Does the School of Nursing accept chemistry courses that are online courses?
     Yes, the chemistry prerequisites may be met by courses administered by a regionally accredited institution. Completion of an organic chemistry course with a minimal grade of C within the past 7 years prior to the start of the program is a requirement for admission into the RIC Zvart Onanian School of Nursing/SJHSNA program.
If I have an associate's degree in nursing, is a Bachelor of Science in another field acceptable?
     Rhode Island College School of Nursing requires a Bachelor of Science with a nursing major or BSN. A Doctor of Nursing Practice in Nurse Anesthesia is granted upon completion of the nurse anesthesia program.

Clinical Experience: What is considered "critical care experience"?
     Critical care experience must be obtained in a critical care area within the United States, its territories or a U.S. military hospital outside of the United States. During this experience, the registered professional nurse has developed critical decision making and advanced monitoring techniques. A critical care area is defined as one where, on a routine basis, the registered professional nurse manages one or more of the following: invasive hemodynamic monitors (e.g., pulmonary artery, central venous pressure, and arterial catheters); cardiac assist devices; mechanical ventilation; and vasoactive infusions. Examples of critical care units may include but are not limited to: surgical intensive care, cardiothoracic intensive care, coronary intensive care, medical intensive care, pediatric intensive care, and neonatal intensive care. Those who have experiences in other areas may be considered provided they can demonstrate competence with managing unstable patients, invasive monitoring, ventilators and critical care pharmacology and requires documentation of this practice.